Team Airost from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) was declared as the Champion in National Instruments Autonomous Robotics Competition 2022 (NIARC 2022) held at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) Engineering Campus, Nibong Tebal on 26th November 2022.
NIARC 2022, with the theme of “Robots in Medical Industry: The Next-Generation Saviors”, is a student robotics competition sponsored by NI Malaysia, in partnership with USM for the 4th year running to continue its effort in encouraging learning, development and innovation among university students in the field of robotics.
The competition which began in May 2022 was concluded in late-November. It managed to attract a total of 13 qualifying teams from eight local institutions of higher learning (IHL), which are UTM, USM, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP), Penang Skills Development Centre (PSDC) and Kolej Poly-Tech MARA (KPTMara).
Team Airost from UTM became the Champion and managed to take home RM 5,000 after the stiff competition. The team had to undergo two Qualifying Rounds (Round-Robin), followed by three Championship Rounds (Knockout), in which Team Airost advanced, towards the Finals and defeated the opponent team.
NIARC 2022 features two teams from UTM, namely Team Airost and Team Bridger which are supervised by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yeong Che Fai and Ir. Dr. Fauzan Khairi bin Che Harun respectively. The students were from the School of Electrical Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering and School of Computing.
Team Airost (Champion)
1) Chai Han Qing (Electrical Engineering 4th Year)
2) Chan Jing Yik (Mechanical Engineering 3rd Year)
3) Tan Hon Teck (Mechatronics Engineering 3rd Year)
4) Loke Rui Kee (Bioinformatics 2nd Year)
1) Melanie Pai Yi Xuan (Electronics Engineering 4th Year)
2) Chung Hui Qi (Electronics Engineering 4th Year)
3) Ivyn Tan Shi Han (Electronics Engineering 4th Year)
4) Denson Pau Jiong Han (Electronics Engineering 4th Year)